Are you interested in learning more about Walnut history? Now you can! Residents can take a self guided tour of various historic sites throughout the City. Each site has been marked with a special sign to commemorate its significance to Walnut. Signs were placed at the following locations:
- 1. Suzanne Park, 1959
625 Suzanne Road
Suzanne Park was the first park to be developed after the City was incorporated in 1959. The park was built by Walnut residents.
- 2. Bob Quattlebaum Windmill
(Located within Suzanne Park Site)
This metal windmill was donated to the City by the Quattlebaum family in memory of their father, Bob Quattlebaum. It was located on the family's property on Kelso Road and is now located at Suzanne Park.
- 3. Brookside Equestrian Center
800 Meadow Pass Road
This site first belonged to the Sentous family, holders of the 2,200 acre Sentous Ranch. It was later used in the filming of National Velvet, starring Elizabeth Taylor. The ranch is now owned by the Walton Family and used for equestrian programs, most notably as an Olympic training facility.
- 4. W. R. Rowland Adobe Ranch House
130 Avenida Alipaz
This Adobe Ranch House, with its thick adobe walls, heavy wide doors, wood shingled roof and dirt floors, is the oldest building in the City of Walnut. It belonged to the owner of the Rowland Ranch, an area which included much of western Walnut.
- 5. Bourdet Home
Home of Mayor Pete Bourdet
166 Lemon Avenue
Pete Bourdet became the first mayor of Walnut in 1959. He was born here, farmed here and helped establish the first Walnut water system. His house was built in the 1920’s.
- 6. Martinez Adobe
Built by Santiago Martinez
20222 Vejar Road
(Vejar Elementary School Site)
The Martinez Adobe was located on the current site of Vejar Elementary School, and was built in the 1840’s by Santiago Martinez. Adobe homes were advantageous in California’s hot climate, due to their efficient insulation.
- 7. Carrey Home
Home of the Carrey Family
20330 Carrey Road
Ernest Carrey, son of Pierre Carrey, found employment on a walnut ranch and used the money he earned to buy the site of present day Walnut High School. His son, Robert Carrey, was one of the first City Council members, and held meetings in his small garage. He also helped to build the first City Hall. Carrey and Pierre Roads honor this family’s contributions to the City.
- 8. Site of First Walnut City Hall
20550 Carrey Road
Walnut was incorporated as a city on January 19, 1959, and the new town established a City Hall that same year.
- 9. Wild Life Sanctuary, Mt. SAC
1100 N. Grand Avenue
This 10-acre nature preserve was established in 1964 to serve as a protected example of Walnut’s natural habitat. It contains a stream, pond and countless species of birds.
- 10. Grove of Walnut Trees
An example of walnut trees native to the area found growing throughout the City.
For more information on these historic sites, please contact the Community Services Department at (909) 598-5605.